Tip for Debian users

Marc Mims mmims@bigfoot.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 07:05:43 -0800

As a Debian user, I was disappointed to see that GnuCash 1.6.x was not
yet part of the Woody distribution.  I didn't want to upgrade to Sid
to get it and with all the warnings and horror stories about
dependencies, I didn't really want to tackle a build from source if I
didn't have to.

I noticed an article in the Debian Weekly News about pinning.
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/1/mail#1

Based on the article, I created /etc/apt/preferences containing,

    Package: *
    Pin: release a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 50

and added the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list.

    deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Then I issued the command,

    apt-get install gnucash=1.6.4-4

GnuCash installed perfectly.  And with the unstable release pinned, I
won't have to worry about 'apt-get upgrade' pulling unstable packages
into my Woody system.

I hope this helps others running Debian that would like to run GnuCash
1.6.x but haven't yet made the leap.

	-Marc