get quotes for multiple currencies (2)

Giuseppe Angilella ggna@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 08:38:23 +0000

Hi,

back on my problem on getting prices for more than one currency at the same
time, I found a solution (which I dislike, however).

Since it seems that I can actually retrieve prices for several fund tickers
at the same time, then I redefined my cash accounts as stock accounts with a
currency of EUR, and a security pointing to the ticker identifying the
exchange rate I was interested in. By trial and error in finance.yahoo.com,
I found out that the exchange rate for USD into EUR, say, can be accessed as
any other ticker via the account code: USDEUR=X. I did the same with
GBPEUR=X (and NOKEUR=X and whatever else), and I can now get "quotes" for
all such "shares" at the same time, without producing any error message.

As I said before, I don't actually like this solution, which basically
cheats gnucash: cash is treated as stock funds!

Has anybody else got a better idea? Is it a bug what I am reporting?

Thanks.

Giuseppe.

ggna@hotmail.com