closing out accounts

Alan Cheilek cheilek@cisco.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 15:06:56 +0100

One more issue here -- I have accounts in two countries (US and UK,
but the principle holds more generally).  By default, the US uses a
calendar tax year, and the UK tax year runs from 6 April through the
following 5 April.

In my situation there can be tax consequences in either country (or
both) for individual transactions in a given account.  But the tax
years in which they might apply is not congruent.

I don't have a good idea on how to handle this from either a data
structure or a user interface point of view, but closing books on 31
December is unlikely to be it...  So far, I (by hand) allocate
transactions appropriately and generate summaries for each country
which I use to fill in the appropriate tax returns.

Cheers,

-Alan