Dealing with unitized mutual funds in 401k

Brad Dixon rbdixon@bellsouth.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:46:24 -0400

Hello:

I've been working with gnucash for about 2 months now. Good work!

I've changed my 401k accounts from tracking just the value of the account
to having subaccounts for each mutual fund owned and tracking shares. I've
got the quote fetch working, too.

Some of my funds are based on a publicly traded fund (Putnam New Opp) but
are then unitized by the 401k provider. From my reading this means that
since what I actually own is shares of the public fund and shares of a
short term investment the 401k trades internally using "units", not
"shares".

This works just fine in gnucash except for the quote system. I belive what
I would have to do is fetch a quote for the public fund and then divide
the price by a conversion factor to get the unit value.

Is there a method in gnucash to do this automatically? Right now I have to
key in many fund unit prices manually when the quarterly statement
arrives. Not so fun.

Thanks,

Brad

--