Some comments from a first time user

Jörg Pommnitz jpo@joerg-pommnitz.de
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:11:13 +0200

Hi List,
I have installed and used GnuCash-1.6.6 (from the SF SRPM) for the
first time yesterday. I like it very much but there are some
nits that I couldn't figure out or that are missing.

1.) Date format on display: it always uses the US-convention (e.g.
     mm/dd/yyyy) where I would like the dd.mm.yyyy format. Can I change
     this?
2.) Transactions are assumed to be instantaneous. If I transfer money
     from my checking account to my money market account the money is
     assumed to arrive at the destination when it leaves the source.
     Unfortunately in the real world the money is "in flight" for some
     time. Can I convince GnuCash to allow me an "in flight" time?
     Even more interesting, when I transfer money to my money merket
     account there are three dates to a transaction:
     1.) the day the money leaves my checking account (A)
     2.) the day the money is available on the money market account (B)
     3.) the day the money market account starts to pay interest on
         the money (C)

     Normally the sequence is A <= C <= B (where "X <= Y" means X is
     before or the same date as Y)

     Can I enter something like this in GnuCash?

Well, thanks for your patience for now.

Regards
   Jörg