Gnucash wouldn't launch because of python

Paul Tremblay phthenry@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:09:56 -0400

I installed Gnucash from the rpm's in my Mandrake installation.
When I tried to launch it, I got this error:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: couldn't import os

I searched on the web and found one other person had this
problem, but I couldn't find a solution.

I use python all the time, and I know that the module "os" is in
fact installed, so I was mystified.

I finally solved the solution by doing this:

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/local/lib/python2.1

Gnucash launched after this.

I think I had this problem because I did my own install of
python. The standard distribution puts python in a different
place than Mandrake puts it. I am guessing that Gnucash (or I
gess it is guppi) was looking for the python libraries in
/usr/lib/python2.1.

Is there any way you could post this bit of information with your
distribution, or on your web page?

Paul

*Paul Tremblay         *
*phthenry@earthlink.net*