OT [was New Person Questions]

David Green david@on-cue.co.za
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:32:17 +0200

 > <rant> It fails on gnome-print if i try to configure as
 > root.  If I configure as non-root, it gets past gnome-print but fails
 > unable to find libglade, even though libglade-devel is installed
 > (0.16-480). Trying to compile glade 0.62 fails at an inability to find
 > gtk (gtk-devel is installed, v1.2.0 I believe), and if I disable the gtk
 > test, it fails at finding scrollkeeper-config.
 >
 > Trying to install glib-2.0.3 fails looking for pkg-config.  Install
 > pkg-config from the SuSE CD, and it actually works.  But the trying to
 > install atk and pango fail because they can't find glib.  Okay fixed
 > pkg-config to find that stuff ... now can't find glib-mkemums. Fix
 > that (/usr/local/bin in path), atk compiles but pango fails on an
 > undefined reference!  Does it never end?
 >
 > </rant>

This is one of *the* advantages of FreeBSD.  The ports collection makes
this sort of thing really easy.  I did a recent install ("make install
clean" in the appropriate place in the ports tree structure) and a
couple of hours later it was all installed, all dependencies sorted out
etc etc.  In addition a whole lotta other things work better as a result ;-)

rgds
dg

--
Dr David Green