The mother of all newbie questions: how do I start? :o)

Robert C. Ramsdell III rcriii@ramsdells.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:36:44 -0500

Roberto,

I'll take a crack at it.  Think of _every_ transaction as a transfer from one
account to another.  A few simple examples:

If you are just starting up and want to enter the initial balance of an
account, then go to the 'Equity' account (I actually created a 'child'
account called 'opening balances'), and create a transaction.  The date is
the date you are starting, the transfer field will contain the name of
account you are transferring to, and then put the opening balance of that
account in the Increase field.

To record salary income, create a transaction in the account you are
depositing the money in.  The transfer field will then contain the account
'Income:Salary' (or some-such).  The Deposit field will contain the amount of
the salary.

To record your phone bill (for example), create a new transaction in the
account you use to pay bills.  The Transfer field will contain the account
'Expenses:Phone'.  The Withdrawal field will contain the the amount of the
expense.  If you pay with a check, use the Num field for the check number.

In each of the above examples, create the new transaction by simply starting
to type in the first empty line at the bottom of the account.   Also, if you
go to the Transfer account in each case, you will see a matching transaction,
with the the Transfer account name reversed.  You may find the names of the
Deposit and Withdrawal fields change from account to account.  In addition it
may be a bit confusing whether the field represent an increase or decrease in
your fortune.  This is because gnucash changes the sense of things from
account to account to keep balances positive.  Thus a positive liability is
actually a debt, while a positive asset is money you own.

Lastly, this all gets slightly more complicated with splits (transactions
with multiple accounts), and much more complicated with securities.

Clear as mud?

Robert