printing checks/searchable archive

Greg Woods greg@gregandeva.net
20 Jun 2002 19:10:45 -0600

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 17:44, Peter T. Abplanalp wrote:

> 1) what have peoples' experiences been with printing checks?

In Gnucash, it is a real pain. I have to enter a custom format every
single &*#*@! time, the same 10 numbers entered over and over and over
and over and over and... well, you get the idea. It does not have the
capability to save a custom format. It does not have the ability to
print a page of checks at a time. What I have are Quicken wallet-style
checks, but the Quicken format that comes with Gnucash does not work
with these. The area of printing checks is the one thing that makes me
think about still using Quicken. Aside from the check printing issues, I
like Gnucash very much and I use it for all my personal accounts, so I
don't want to sound like I'm bashing it. Better check printing is at the
top of my list for what I'd like to see.

When I asked on this list about this about a year ago, I was told that
to provide the capability just to be able to save a custom format would
require modifications in three different places, mostly Scheme code.
Unfortunately that's not a language that I know, or I might have taken a
crack at doing it myself. From what I'm reading now, it sounds like
budgeting is a much higher priority, so I don't expect to see any
improvements in the check printing in Gnucash any time soon.

--Greg