Accounting Howto Question

Scott Robinson srobinso@vvm.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:30:41 -0500

I have been trying to figure how to best track my medical bills, in
such a way as to reconcile my accounts with the various statements I
get. Here is a typical example. I go to the medical clinic for a doctor
visit. The clinic charges me for the visit, and submits a claim to my
health insurance company. There is usually a negotiated discount
applied against the charge. Then the health insurance company pays the
clinic the remaining amount, less my co-payment. To add some amounts to
this description:

1. Clinic charges $100.00, and submits claim to health insurance
company.
2. A $10.00 negotiated discount is applied towards the charge.
3. Health insurance company pays $75.00 to the clinic.
4. I pay $15.00 to clinic.

TIA,
scott