Database question

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:04:53 -0600

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:33:38PM -0500, Timothy Reaves was heard to remark:
> 	I realize gnucash can use postgres, but what about other DB's?  How
> difficult would it be to support other ones?

In theory, not hard.  In practice ....

1) gnucash uses some advanced sql features, which not all sql's support
   e.g. stored proceedures, which I think mysql doesn't support.
   I beleive that the majors all do support this (db2, oracle, etc.)
   but I can't gaurentee that there won't be assorted (minor fixable)
   glitches (since this area of sql is under-standardized).

2) The programming interface used was the native postgres api, and not
   odbc.  I tried to keep most of the postgres api calls in macros,
   so that theoretically, you just redefine the macros, and it will
   recompile & work.  But that theory has never been tested.

--linas