How do I set up brokerage accounts properly in gnucash 1.6.5?

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
02 Mar 2002 14:15:57 -0800

--=-MBJHL1lfb3w9QKVM7UML

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 08:04, Dave Carrigan <dave@rudedog.org> wrote:
> That's the way I do it (actually, I have a top level asset account
> called investments, and my etrade account is under there). It works for
> me, and I'm pretty sure that it's the correct approach.

Something that will help down the line is to use intermediate level
sub-accounts.  Look at the summary section of your statement and copy
the breakdown that it uses.  (Make sure to use the same ordering as the
statement.)  This will make your life easier long term if you have an
imbalance when reconciling your statement.  It lets you quickly subset
the problem, sort of like a binary search.  For example, I have an IRA
with three stocks, two money funds and some cash in it.  My account
structure looks like this:

Assets
  Investments
    IRA
      Mutual Funds
        Fund 1
        Fund 2
      Stocks
        Stock 1
        Stock 2
        Stock 3
      Cash

If I leave the lowest level accounts closed, What I see in the accounts
window is:

    IRA			$xxx.xx
      Mutual Funds	$xxx.xx
      Stocks		$xxx.xx
      Cash		$xxx.xx

Since this matches my statement, its trivial to compare the two and see
if they match, or if they don't, where the difference is.

David

--=-MBJHL1lfb3w9QKVM7UML

--=-MBJHL1lfb3w9QKVM7UML--