Re[2]: Gnucash, budgeting and cash-flow

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:25:12 -0700 (MST)

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 01:27, Matti Picus wrote:
> > I am looking for an easy way to help the NGO that I fundraise for ($200,000
> > a year with 5-7 projects) build tools for cash flow and project reporting.
> > They need to be able to compare expenses per project vis-a-vis the budget
> > in the project proposal, as well as predict cash flow bottle necks.
> >
> > Is GnuCash the way to go or should I just build a spreadsheet to do the work?
>
> GnuCash doesn't have any budgeting features. Of course, data entry
> in GnuCash would probably be much easier than in a spreadsheet. But
> as far as budgeting goes, GnuCash can't really help you.

Well, yes and no.  (Yikes, I'm disagreeing with a developer of gnucash!
maybe I'd better shut up and not display my ignorance!  Ah, well, its
email, I'll stick my foot in my mouth (everyone else displays
'foot-in-mouth' disease at one time or another, eh? ;-))

While I agree that GnuCash has no budgeting (or forcasting) features,
it is really handy for keeping TRACK of what you spent on stuff, so you
can get the historical information you'd need for seeing what you've
spent (or at least that's how I think I'm using it! - maybe I'm more
confused than I think I am!).

Well, having stuck foot in mouth, I'll crawl back under my rock ;-)

rc