Split Transactions question

leonatra leonatra@yahoo.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 13:24:32 -0700

Hi -

I'm not sure how to book a transaction.  My job reimbursed me for a
class I'm taking.  First, I paid for the class from my checking account:

	credit: asset checking account
	debit: expenses education account

Now I got the check from my job in order to reimburse me.  The
reimbursement was added into my regular biweekly paycheck.  My regular
salary is $100 per paycheck (these are made up numbers) and the
reimbursement is for $200, so I got a check for $300 this time.

Here's how I normally process my paychecks:

	debit: asset checking account
	credit: income salary account.

Now, looking at my monthly reports, this casts the illusion that I got a
raise, and that my expenses have gone way up because I initially paid
for the class and then was reimbursed.

I'd be super grateful for any pointers in how to process this.
--------------
Hello Nameless,

You do it this way:
$ 300.00 deposit in the checking account
then rightclick the mouse and click on split then
$ 200.00 into the expense account
hit reply and then enter
$ 100.00 into income account

This automatically offsets each account as necessary to reflect the true
final happenings.

If you have troubles using split, do it this way:
$ 200 deposit into the checking account
$ 200 expense (this then REDUCES your expenses!)
$ 100 deposit into the checking account
$ 100 income account
EVERYTHING is also correctly reflected

Kate