transaction "groups"?

Tim Wunder tim@thewunders.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:30:31 -0500

tudor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way (in gnucash 1.6.2) to automatically enter "transaction
> groups"?

Past transactions should be saved so that when you enter a new
transaction with the same name as a previous transaction, the previous
transaction will be copied. Is this not what you're seeing?

> For example, every time I receive a paycheck (twice a month), I'd like
> to be able to automatically break down the gross income into categories
> - net income deposited to my checking account, federal tax, state tax,
> medical insurance, dental insurance, 401k, ESPP, etc.  The amount and
> breakdown are the same for every paycheck; I'd like to avoid having to
> enter all 14 transactions individually, and save them together as a
> "group".
>
> Also- is there a way to enter repeated transactions?  ("every other
> week", "monthly", "on the 15th and last day of each month" etc)

It's in the development tree, which you can run if you're interested in
testing it. The developer working on the Scheduled Transaction
implementation, I'm sure, would welcome more tester input.
Check the gnucash site, http://gnucash.org, specifically,
http://gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml, for info on installing from CVS. I
happen to be running live data with the CVS version, but I wouldn't
recommend it...
CVS isn't for everyone, and things could easily break, hosing your data
files.

HTH,
Tim