can't enter monetary values

blossom merz blossommerz@earthlink.net
17 May 2002 10:27:01 -0700

Hey, there!

I've been trying to use gnucash for months. I've installed it with rpms
and built it from source. Everything I try shows the same exact symptom
- I can't enter actual monetary values anywhere in the interface. Of
course, the nature of this program requires entering them, so this
problem prevents me from using gnucash at all.

Here are some ways to demonstrate the problem on my machine:
Open the interface - it has no files in it.
File | New File - the druid starts
leave the monetary unit USD, click next
Choose 'Common Accounts', click next
Select any account - let's say Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account
Enter 140.00, hit return
The cursor jumps back to before the 1 and keeps blinking
Click next - ERROR "You must enter a valid balance"

Let's back up a little bit...
Delete the opening balance, click next
Click Finish
It creates the accounts.
Let's open one up to enter a transaction...
Assets:Current Assets:Checking Account
Now I've got a register window open
Let's try to enter a deposit...
click the grey 'depost' enter 140.00 <return>
The cursor jumps back to before the 1 again and keeps blinking. It
completely ignores any values that I enter.

I'm sure you get the idea. It won't let me enter any monetary values at
all. I can enter a check number, description, select a transfer account,
etc. but I can't enter monetary values.

Any ideas where to start diagnosing this?

Thanks!
blossom merz