Exporting to QIF format

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Sun, 19 May 2002 09:16:30 -0500

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:12:21PM +0100, Dave was heard to remark:
> I've found a lot of information about importing QIF into gnucash, but can't
> find any reference to exporting. I'd quite like to take some data from a
> gnucash file and import it into Quicken, and a QIF would be the simplest way
> to do this.
>
> Before I embark on a rather large xsl excursion to try to do the conversion
> in a rather inefficient way, I thought I'd ask whether anyone had any ideas
> on if there's a better way to do this. If there's a better place to ask the
> question, please direct me there!
>
> I'm open to suggestions involving scripting and/or programming, but the
> latter only if there's a fairly nice api to work with (otherwise it would be
> simpler to use scripting).

The 'engine' has a well-defined API that allows you to walk the data
structures and do as you wish (i.e. printf what you need). You'd have
to program in C.

An alternate approach is to look at the "transaction report".   It spits
out transactions in html.  Presumably, you can take this code, and
modify it to avoid spitting out the html markup, and use QIF-style
formatting instead.   You'd have to script in scheme to do this ...

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>