confusion about lending money

chris reddaemon@shaw.ca
04 Nov 2002 01:50:32 -0700

hi. i have started using gnucash recently and i really like it. however
i have some transactions i would like to enter but i am not sure how to
do so.

i hold the lease on my apt and my roommate bob (names and figures are
made up) pays me half the rent. rent is 600. rod was short this month so
i spotted him 20. i would like to keep track of how much he owes me
because the amount he really owes is alot to me.

so i was wondering

how do i enter in the initial transaction?
how do i settle the accts if he pays me?
how do i settle the accts if i force him to pay a bigger share of the
cable/internet bill to even things out?
how do i settle the accts if he doesnt pay me and i cant make him pay a
bigger share of the cable/internet bill?

if i am not mistaken the money rod owes me is an acct receivable and is
an asset. i am pretty sure that a/r rod is supposed to have a positive
balance and that cash gets credited.

		db	cr
rent		600
cash			300
money from rod		280
cash			20	money lent to rod
a/r rod		20		a/r rod has positive balance now
???			20

this looks mostly right but its imbalanced. there is something i need to
do but what?

payment
		db	cr
money from rod		20
cash		20		cash is increased
a/r rod			20	should be made zero
???		20		imbalance. whats wrong?

if i consider ??? an account everything balances :)

force him to pay a bigger share of the cable/internet bill

		db	cr
cable/internet	25		this is what i wish i was paying :)
cash			5
a/r rod			20

i think i have this right

write it off