Entering transactions more quickly

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:36:51 -0800 (PST)

  I must have missed something important here because trying to enter
transactions is painfully slow and inefficient. I'm sure there's a much
better way. I'm running gnucash-1.6.6-3 here.

  From the main screen, I select the checking account register, then click
on the Transfer button (ctrl-t does nothing). Here's where everything slows
to a crawl. I must re-select the date because it defaults to today for each
new transaction; doesn't remember the last date. Worse yet, every single
time I have to click the box to display the expense category, click the box
to display each account in this category and I cannot find a way to have the
expense accounts displayed for each transaction. I also haven't found the
keyboard shortcuts that let me enter all the text without having to use the
trackball.

  Is it really this terribly slow or are there shortcuts I didn't see in the
docs or the menus? To not have the expense accounts visible when entering
transactions from the checking account is rather mindless. Why would I want
to work only with assets, liabilities and equities when transferring money?
And why can I not use the keyboard to make data entry quick and efficient?

  Please point me to the section(s) of the docs that tell me how to do this.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)