Placeholders & Missing Data

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
06 Nov 2002 18:13:34 -0800

--=-E7rjyH7ZZVkU6b4TK0EO

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 13:33, Chris Kassopulo wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 02:11:07 -0500
> Kahlil Johnson <jzarecta@ureach.com> wrote:
>=20
> > Novice question, what is the Placeholder used for?=20

It marks an account read-only so you can't accidentally post to it.=20
Also useful for doing things like insuring that you actually take the
time to categorize an expense instead of just dumping it into the top
level Expenses account. :-)

> Placeholder is the only way I've found to set up an account
> that has subaccounts for individual stocks and/or mutual funds.
> I set up nested0 asset accounts with placeholder and create one=20
> subaccount for each stock or mutual fund.

These don't need to be marked as placeholders, but it doesn't hurt.

David

--=-E7rjyH7ZZVkU6b4TK0EO

--=-E7rjyH7ZZVkU6b4TK0EO--