Tax refunds

plussier@mindspring.com plussier@mindspring.com
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:46:33 -0400

In a message dated: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:10:34 +0200
lmb said:

>Hi all,
>
>quick question, not entirely gnucash related. ;-)
>
>I've finally done my tax paperwork, and am now expecting a refund (well, that
>is the plan at least).
>
>So, how to I book this?
>
>Is it coming in via an Income:Refunds account, or do I deduct it from
>Expense:Taxes ?
>
>Another issue would be that it is a refund for 2001; but will show up in 2002.
>Is that proper or should I book it on 2002-12-31 so it shows up in the right
>year?
>
>BTW, at the end of the month, I'll have been using gnucash for exactly a year.
>It helped immensely to track where my money was or was not going. Thanks a
>bunch!

I book it as a debit to the Expense:Taxes account and a credit to the
Assets:Checking (or whatever).  I wouldn't consider it income, since
it's money you've already paid out as an expense coming back to you.

IANAA, but I look at it similarly to purchasing something at WalMart,
then returning it for a refund.

HTH,
--

Seeya,