Check Numbers and Expese Report

Nigel Titley nigel@packetexchange.net
21 Oct 2002 16:56:31 +0100

--=-XrOo0uNzz5w8cHGpp5ar

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 02:26, Gearry Judkins wrote:
> I have been using gnucash for a few months now and there are a few=20
> things I have noticed which I thought I would metion to the list to see=
=20
> if they are items being addressed.
>=20
> First off I am using Gnucash 1.6.6 that I got from the debian testing=20
> branch a while back.
>=20
> 1)Check numbers:  I belive I saw it the tips section that you could=20
> automatically get it to insert the next incremented check number by=20
> pressing the + key. I have tried this and I seem to get some weird=20
> behavior.  If I use that in a given session before I have typed any=20
> numbers that session it falls back to an old check number, say 140 when=
=20
> I should be on 157 and the checks 140 through 156 are already in the=20
> register.  If I type in a check number, say 157, pressing + when in that=
=20
> field will then work correctly for the rest of that session.  Has anybod=
=20
> else seen this?

Yes, this is certainly the behaviour that I always see. I'm afraid I
haven't given it a second thought and just type in the new number, but
you are quite right.

>=20
> 2)Expense Barchart: I like the expense barchart, but I have one problem=
=20
> with it.  I like the way that the expense piechart takes the catagories=
=20
> which comprise the largest percentages first and itemizes them until it=
=20
> gets to n-1 of the total catagories I have asked to be displayed,=20
> putting the remaining into the "other" group.  The barchart howerver=20
> just takes the first n-1 catagories in alphabetical order, and assings=20
> the rest to "other", which makes the divisions in the bars in that=20
> barchart less meaningful.  If I knew anythign about scheme I would look=
=20
> into it, but I don't and right now I don't really have the time to=20
> learn, but it seems like it should be something easy to change since the=
=20
> code for dividing things up is basically in the piechart report already.=
=20
>   Feel free to tell me all the reasons why I am wrong on this.

I agree with you. This behaviour actually makes the barchart not very
useful (unless of course you spend all your money on Aardvaarks, Bees
and Crocodiles). Feature request?
=20
> All in all I have to say that gnucash is probably one of the most=20
> user-friendly opensource apps I have encountered to date.  Many thanks=20
> to all involved.  I hope that as time goes on I can contribute something=
=20
> to the project.

Its truly wonderful, I've just started to properly enter all my data for
the past couple of years, after deciding that removing Windows from my
systems was more important that keeping a copy of Quicken alive.

Thanks guys.

Nigel

--=-XrOo0uNzz5w8cHGpp5ar

--=-XrOo0uNzz5w8cHGpp5ar--