total sales-volume charged with v.a.t.

Mw. Mr. V.M.H. Schaars v.m.h.schaars@kub.nl
02 Sep 2002 10:25:01 +0200

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 20:54, Neil Jerram wrote:

>     VKS> Dear all, I use GnuCash for 2 small companies. Both use
>     VKS> V.A.T. tax. I have separate accounts for v.a.t. and I use
>     VKS> them with every transaction.  (split transactions). The form
>     VKS> I have to fill in every month asks for the amount of
>     VKS> v.a.t. the company has to pay and receive that month. I made
>     VKS> a nice report in GnuCash that generates these amounts.
>
> That's interesting.  Did you write new Scheme code to do this, or was
> it enough just to select the right options on an existing report?  If
> the former, can you share the new code?

I just used an existing report and selected the right options.

>     VKS> That is the easy part. The form, however, also asks the
>     VKS> sales-volume of the v.a.t. that the company has to wear out
>     VKS> to the tax-service (='government'). I can't find a nice way
>     VKS> to add up these figures. I have been doing this myself (with
>     VKS> a calculator!). Isn't there a nice way to make these figures
>     VKS> available in the report? I cannot add all sales-volume,
>     VKS> because not all sales are taxed and they are not all charged
>     VKS> with the same percentage. Of course I can calculate the 100%
>     VKS> amount from the tax amount (19%), but that should only be a
>     VKS> verifying mechanism and besides, this doens't account for
>     VKS> small differences.
>
> So the total that you want to calculate is the sum of all transactions
> that include a split to the specified VAT account?  (Or, more
> precisely, the sum of the `sale price' split in all transactions that
> also include a split to the specified VAT account.)

That's right. I sought for an option in the report to add up these
figures, but it's not there. The amounts can however be made visible by
selecting 'multiline' in the options menu. I then add the right amounts.
I can do this because there are not so many transactions yet, but what
if my business grows?

> Although I've not tried anything like this, shouldn't it be possible
> to do this by writing the appropriate Scheme code and registering it
> as a report?
I have no idea. I am just a user. If this is the only way, may be I
should dig into it. Where should I start?