Simon Vandemoortele delirious_removethistoreply@atchoo.be
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:55:49 +0200

Dear fellow GNUCash users,

I would like to know if any of you have encountered this problem before
and if so, what solution you have come up with.

Problem:
=======
My bank allows me to download my bank account excerpts in tab-separated
text files. I would very much like to automatically generate GNUCash
transactions from these excerpts.
Strictly speaking, this is of course an unsolvable problem since
user-input is required to decide the "from" and "to" accounts of a
transaction. (Only I can really know what the banking transaction means.)
Still 50% of my banking transactions  could be  detected and translated
to GNUCash transactions automatically.

State of affairs:
===========
To solve this problem I've considered writing a script to do the
conversions I need. I am however unsure about the way I should insert
the information into GNUCash; should I simply add transactions to the
.xac file ? should I generate a QIF file and import it ?

Solutions:
=======
I am confident other people must have attempted the same feat. What
advice can you give me ?

Best Regards,
Simon Vandemoortele