g-wrap lost - So am I

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
26 Sep 2002 02:43:22 -0700

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 01:52, Daniel Brahneborg wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
>
> <rant>
> Well, one thing developers _can_ do is try to avoid or fix
> tools and toolkits that aren't good enough for mainstream use.
> For me, using RedHat 7.3, this basically means GConf.
>
> I wrote a few weeks ago about not being able to start gnucash
> as any other user than root, which looked like a GConf problem.
> I searched the archives a little bit, but found nothing.
> Now I've given up, and simply uses the root account, which is
> a highly unsatisfactory situation.  I'm running a tight
> LIDS kernel, so I'm not too worried though.
>
> Nobody seems to know what the actual problem with GConf is,
> since the suggested solutions are just another versions of
> "restart your computer".  It's much worse than having to
> hunt down dozens of unrelated packages (where half of the
> URL's doesn't work), as David described.  Getting gnucash,
> and therefore also GConf, to work also requires half a
> dozen long and cryptic shell commands, where the paths
> differ depending on who wrote the description.  This is
> definately not a job for distributors.

<Snip>
So what you're saying is because of a problem with another application
not working properly on your system we should redesign all of GnuCash?
Isn't that kinda like if I have a problem with my car not starting going
to complain to the guy who put in the stereo system in it for me about
how the battery is dead?
I would think that as you are using RedHat you would look for solutions
to the Gconf problem on their mailing lists and/or put a bug report into
their bugzilla. From your description of the problem I would think it is
a permissions problem, esp as the application runs just not as your
user.
BTW I just tried what you said you did in your previous messages on my
RH 7.3 system here (vanilla). My results are as follows;
1) Started GnuCash as root and saved my file over the previous version
2) Logged back in as my account and started Gnucash, it loaded the file
with no errors
3) Saved the file, Gnucash saved the version owned by root off as a
differently named file (still owned by root) and made a new saved file
with my current user name.
This is a stock RH install, therefore it seems your problem is caused by
something you have installed, perhaps as a result of configuring your
tight 'LIDS' kernel. I would suggest as a general way of figuring out
what went wrong to (if its possible) temporarily turn off the security
mesaures you have in place and see if GnuCash works ok then. If it does
then try to figure out what particular thing it is so you can tighten
things down again but still allow GnuCash to run.

> Gnucash-gui-question: Why isn't the "description" field in
> the account list maximized (in a "use the rest of the space"
> kind of way) by default?

This will change in 1.8 to being dynamically resized. That will mean
that the descriptions will never be cut off as the are in 1.6 and also
not need to just use the rest of the space there.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit