account organization

Andrew Pimlott gnucash-user at andrew.pimlott.net
Tue Apr 1 00:43:20 CST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:38:17PM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Andrew Pimlott <gnucash-user at andrew.pimlott.net> writes:
>
> > I thought about how to file loans to others, and decided to make
> > them a separate top-level account ("Petty loans"), since I might
> > loan to or borrow from friends, so neither assets nor liabilities is
> > really right.  Not that this is important.
>
> Use a separate Liabilities:Accounts Payable for the loans *from* friends
> ;-).

I don't know how it works with your friends :-), but I'm talking
about stuff like I buy dinner one night, he buys another.  It all
belongs in one account so I can see that it evens out.  Yes, this is
anal, but it works out so nicely in double entry accounting that I
can't resist.

Plus, I have proof when I say "you bought last time".

Andrew