Customer vs Company

plussier at mindspring.com plussier at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 3 11:06:43 CST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:47:23 CST
Linas Vepstas said:

>Its reasonable to expect
>the gnucash addressbook to be visible to evolution, and v.v. but very
>very unfortuantely, therere is no Linux system architecture for this kind
>of thing. (LDAP is too hard to install/use/administer).

But unfortunately perfectly ideal for this exact use scenario :(

Although, now that I think about it, using OpenLDAP isn't all that
difficult, nor is installation/setup, especially if done via some
pacakge management system like RPM or apt-get.

Granted, a source install/config might be far beyond the
non-sysadmin, but I wouldn't expect your average GnuCash user to be
installing from source to begin with.

Since Evolution can query and LDAP server, how difficult would it be
to get GnuCash to store this type of data into an LDAP server?

I'm in the process of learning LDAP now, and using OpenLDAP, I'm
finding it to be a relatively simple thing from an implementation
side.  Even writing the perl code to manipulate the LDAP server in
the manner I need for my project isn't overly difficult.

Just some random thoughts here.
--

Seeya,
Paul