Customer vs Company

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 12:48:06 CST 2003

plussier at mindspring.com writes:

> What about it is challenging?  Rewriting the existing mechanism by
> which Gnucash stores address information, or getting it to query an
> LDAP server?

I think the challenge is both the interfacing to LDAP as well as
the user choice to determine where to lookup the data.

Right now, *ALL* data is stored in XML; there is nothing special
about the contact database.  Changing that would be a challenge.

> The query part shouldn't be too difficult.  Rewriting the address
> storage mechanism might be hairy, since you then need to provide
> options for people so they can choose to use LDAP or not.

Exactly.

> I merely see LDAP as a convenient mechanism to share directory
> information with other LDAP aware applications.  It by no means
> should be a requirement for using GnuCash, especially since most
> GnuCash users seem to be individuals, and LDAP is more a feature
> I expect would  only be interesting to small companies which
> already use LDAP for other things.
>
> Where in the code is the customer address stuff?  I don't know the
> first thing about scheme, and won't even pretend to be able to
> contribute code, but I wouldn't mind mucking around with this a
> little to see what I can learn/come up with.
> ( I might be able to contribute something in perl :)

No, the code is all in C.  See src/business/business-core (and the
'file' subdirectory, which contains the XML I/O routines).

-derek