Customer vs Company

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 12:58:24 CST 2003

plussier at mindspring.com writes:

> My understanding was that this was going to be an embedded database
> though, not using the postmaster db server from PostgreSQL.
>
> Is this incorrect?

Yes, you are incorrect.  The re-written PG Backend uses Postgres.  The
plan is to re-use the re-written PG SQL code and use an embedded
MySQL.

> I totally agree that if there is going to be a full-fledged SQL-db
> backend to GnuCash, then that is the place to store all this
> information.
>
> I don't completely agree that LDAP integration is a mistake.  The
> reason, as I stated before, is that I can definitely see where a
> business may want to access name/address information from both
> GnuCash and something like Evolution.  Evolution speaks LDAP, it
> doesn't speak SQL, nor does Outlook or any other mail client AFAIK.

Sure, but you can put an LDAP front-end on top of a SQL database.
Just translate the LDAP queries into SQL queries.

> Now, if there's going ot be a full-blown db back end, then it's
> entirely possible to poll this data from PostgreSQL and populate an
> LDAP server if that's what the business wants to do.  That would be
> the ideal solution, since it doesn't involve GnuCash at all, it's
> totally optional, and allows anyone without knowledge of LDAP or SQL
> to live a happy life :)

Eh???  If you have to do this, then LDAP is even MORE broken than
I suspect.

> But, as I stated, my understanding was that it was going to be an
> embeded SQL engine, not a full-fledged db server.

Submit code.  I'm not going to write one-line of LDAP code myself
without a LOT of financial incentive.