1.8.2 - Not detecting truncated file

Tony Bloomfield tonyb.lx at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 19 13:24:29 CDT 2003

Running gnucash today, I noticed quite by chance that some transactions seemed
to have disappeared. I therefore tried to gunzip the file, to see what might
have happened. gunzip failed with an 'unexpected end of file' message.
Checking the Linux logs reminded me that I had a system problem at just about
the time I last saved, which no doubt caused parts of the file not to be
flushed to disc. However, if gunzip can detect this fact, why not gnucash
too?

Fortunately, my last backup (XAC) file was complete and I was able to recover.
But it was only luck (viewing an account I seldom used) that I noticed the
problem while my backups were still available.

I guess I should open a bug report for this, but would appreciate comments
first.

Cheers,
TonyB