Question to european gnucash users

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan cosmodog at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 14:03:01 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 11:19 AM, Steve Hall wrote:

> The point of reconciling is to verify that your records align with
> those of the entity who you have your account with.

This is certainly the point of reconciling.  I see two things that
would take Gnucash a long way towards making that (mis)alignment more
obvious.

When a register is set to "sort by statement date"

1) The balance could be calculated _as sorted_.  This would cause at
least the last split of each properly reconciled statement period to
show the same balance as the ending balance on the paper statement.

As it stands now,  the register will _sort_ by "statement date"  but it
remains _balanced_ by the "date column date".  Unless both the "date
column date" and the banks posting date of each split are within the
same statement period, the balance in the register will never align
with the balance on the paper statement .  This is more of a problem
with checks which have many opportunities for delayed processing, but
even electronic payments initiated close to the end of a statement
period can end up posted into the following period.

2) The "R" column could reflect the statement date to which the split
had been reconciled.  A full date might be nice but any visible
indication of the boundary between statement groups would make it
easier to identify splits that were inproperly reconciled. And in
combination with 1) would make it easy to identify which statement
group is out of balance.

Does any of this seem like enhancements worth requesting?  Or maybe it
is possible now and I just don't now how to do it?

Cheers,

Richard