namespace in the XML gnc-v2 tag proposal

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 11 00:02:09 CDT 2003

Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek at yahoo.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 18:26, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > FYI, I have verified that this is not a backwards-compatible change.
> > If this patch were committed, then files output with this patch
> > applied would not be readable without this patch, which would be a
> > major data compatibility issue.
> >
> > So I am not going to commit this patch.
> >

> That's too bad.  You think committing it to HEAD would be bad?  I mean,
> once we go so far, the file won't be backwards compatible in any case...

I'd rather wait a bit..  I still go back and forth between
head and 1.8.  But obviously that's not going to work forever.

> Either way, I'm going to poke at an XSLT CSV conversion stylesheet, and
> anyone that wants can insert the namespaces into their file and
> transform the data to CSV.  Certainly would be much simpler than trying
> to create a programatic converter.  Plus it would provide a reference
> implementation that could be expanded to a QIF exporter, etc.  What's
> the use of XML if we can't take advantage of the rest of its
> capabilities!!

Uggh.  Well, XML isn't going to live forever, either.  I'd rather see
a programatic method, because then it would work with any backend,
allowing you to export from a PG backend to QIF or CSV.

> I tried using gnc:book instead of gnc-v2, but the stylesheet parser
> don't like that...

Not surprising.