State of the GnuCash project: A call for help

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Mon Aug 11 11:27:15 CDT 2003

Benoit Grégoire wrote:
> This is an article I wrote after several discussions about GnuCash's future
> over the last few weeks.  I believe that it is important for everyone to take
> the time to read it completely.

Great work Benoit!

You know, I had written a detailed list of frustrations I have had with
the GC project.  But, in the end, I deleted it.  The only constructive
part of that deleted treatise was that I mentioned that if it wasn't for
people like you (Benoit), Christain Stimming, Chris Lyttle, and Derek, I
would have let the project in frustration.  Thanks guys.

My contribution to GCs call for help:

There is no reason why GC cannot have the best documentation of any
financial accounting software package on the planet.  That is my goal,
and I will continue to work in that direction.  When the *next* version
of GC comes out one day, I want it to already have complete docs.

What is needed to accomplish this:

1) The docs people need somewhere on the web site to upload
documentation in progress.  A "temp" kinda area.  Complete access would
be better, but that seems to be difficult to get.

2) We should create a branch (is that the lingo?) in the documentation.
  If we had a 1.8 *and* 1.10 branch, we could start writing the new
features up today, or at least outlining them in general terms.
Obviously we are not ready to make screenshots, etc.

3) The web site should make it REALLY, REALLY simple for people to find
the correct documentation (see my proposal from a few days ago).

4) When answering people on the user- list that ask The Same Old
Question Again, we should refer to the documentation, ie: give them a
link to the relevent docs.  Why?  Because *this* person asking the
question is *exactly* the kind of person we want feedback from on the
docs.  I did this a number of times with people, and it worked out
great.  I asked (nicely) if the user would read such and so web site and
let me know if it answered their question.  If not, I promised I would
help them.

5) The web site should make it REALLY, REALLY obvious what a new user
should do if s|he wants to contribute.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil