State of the GnuCash project: A call for help

Carl L. Gilbert lamont_gilbert at rigidsoftware.com
Mon Aug 11 23:07:17 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:52, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Carl L. Gilbert" <lamont_gilbert at rigidsoftware.com> writes:
>
> > Well I can toss my hat into the ring on the software side.  I'll slowly
> > phase myself in to coding.  Try to learn by tackling a few bugs first.
> >
> > I expect the ramp up to take at least 2 months...I assume its c code?
> > Hopefully its c++ and object oriented!?  I know nothing about Linux
> > GUIs, so Ill stay behind the scenes.
>
> GnuCash is written in C and Scheme.  No C++.  It's somewhat object
> oriented, but probably not to a C++/Java-coder's wishes.

Ugh.  'c'.  the pain.  I write c at work.  embedded software.  I think c
just requires lots more upfront architecting.  with OO languages like
java/c++ I have been able to dive right in, and sort of refactor along
the way.  This is really no big deal at all though.  I still enjoy
programming.

Anyway, is their any particular reason for it being in c and not c++?  I
am really a self taught programmer so I don't know some of the finer
details about such decisions.

> > I could start by rewriting the whole thing in Java :)
>
> And we could ignore you, too ;)

yes, yes, I am only kidding.  Though writing Java is so much fun.

This will be interesting.

--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes
9:16

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
GNU Privacy Guard http://www.gnupg.org (Encryption and Digital
Signatures)