Programming Language

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Aug 12 10:47:19 CDT 2003

Christian Stimming wrote:
> We should really create a writeup about "why is this in C?" and put it
> somewhere on the website (or in the to-be-created wiki; I still propose
> http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/ ). People ask this *all the time*.

Christain, how about a FAQ?

I just added this text:

   Q: Why is GnuCash written in C?
   A: The core functionality of GnuCash is written in C, but do not
forget that much of this can be accesed through Guile (scheme).  There
are a number of reasons for why GnuCash is written in C.  The first is
historical, Gnucash was started in 1998 and many of the OOP (C++, Java,
Python) compilers were not yet mature and standarized enough on the
variety of platforms considered at that time, so C was the only option
at that time.  A second reason is because the standard GUI GnuCash uses
is GTK, which is written in C.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil