Programming Language (was: State of the GnuCash project: A call for help)

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Aug 13 19:57:30 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:56:34AM +0200, Christian Stimming was heard to remark:
> Personally I would love to do the GUI programming in some higher-level
> language (scheme with gnome-guile, python with python-gtk, C++ with
> gtkmm). Maybe the modular system organisation would make it possible
> some day to have some modules written in languages other than C. But
> setting things up correctly will be a major headache, not to mention the
> additional dependencies etc. -- so for the time being I will just
> continue to do OO-programming in C.

In theory, this would be handled by the object system.  I think that the
reason that glib gobjects have all that marshalling and etc.etc. stuff
in them is so that cross-language object calls can become easy, someday.

But for now,
1) I don't beleive that there is an instant/transparent/automatic
   python-to-gobjects or guile-to-gobjects bridge

2) gnucash does not use glib gobjects.  It uses home-grown KVP's and a
   home-grown object-query system .. kvp was added before gobjects
   existed, and object query was added because not even gobjects
   supports such a concept, not yet.

There is a massive amount of core infrastructure that needs to be
invented to make writing apps like gnucash simpler.  Things like
gobjects and kvp and query-objects are just baby-steps, and may
I point out babies aren't very good at walking ...

The zen-warlord-programer-master quote on slashdot is precient .

--linas