Budgeting - Let's decide what we want!

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Sat Aug 30 23:07:46 CDT 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:46:30 -0500, Jack McKinney <jackmc-
gnucash at lorentz.com> wrote:

> Big Brother tells me that Jon Lapham wrote:
>> Yeah, what Matthew said.  I agree 100%.
>>
>> *If* there is budgetting in GnuCash, I think (for what it is worth) it
>> absolutely needs to be something completely separate from the existing
>> functional system (I mean both in terms of code base and UI).
>
> I have seen this POV mentioned several times, and I just don't grok
> it.  What it seems to come down to is, spend the money, then check the
> budgets afterwards to see if you screwed up. In other words, you can
> budget one of two ways: before the fact or
> after the fact.  The "envelope" system of having subaccounts of the
> main account is the before method.  If your mortgage payment is $800,
> and you are paid twice a month, then you can budget $400 into your
> housing subaccount every paycheck, and thus know that you will have
> enough for the mortgage payment on the 1st.
> This is even better when you have to pay $900 for your car insurance
> every six months.  By putting $75 into your car budget every paycheck,
> then you'll have your $900 after six months.

You seem to be describing payables, not budgeting.  Every month (or payday)
you incur an expense, but instead of crediting cash you credit accounts
payable.

> With after the fact budgeting, you mark each transaction in some
> way and then do reports to see how you are doing.  What I don't grok
> in this method is how to see how much I have available to spend.  My
> account may say that I have $900 in it, but I don't know that $800 of
> it is "reserved" for the upcoming mortgage payment.  If I want to buy
> that new DVD burner for $150, GnuCash tells me I have it, but in reality
> I don't.  I have to run reports to try and figure it out.
>
> It seems that there ought to be room for both methods...

By using payables, you can compare your actual revenue and expense account
activity with your budget.  Then, you can tell whether you're in the black
or red.  You're right - you can't tell by looking at your cash account
balance whether you have money to spend or not.

Phil

and Mandrake Linux 9.1: www.mandrakesoft.com