Trouble with the install

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 4 11:48:45 CST 2003

Hi,

> So when I run the gnucash 1.8 rpm, I get an error that states it can not
> find perl(Finance::Quote).  I have installed Finance::Quote from CPAN by
> following the instructions in the INSTALL file I got from the download of
> Finance::Quote.

This is a known bug in the RH8 RPM.  The only workaround at the
moment is to install with --nodeps.  Be warned that this is an
"unsafe" command, but it should get GnuCash installed.  We hope to
get a new RPM packaged soon that fixes the dependency error.

> Why can the RPM not find this file?  Did I maybe do something wrong?  Does
> it need to be in a particular file?  Is there a way I can disable that
> part of the load?  I am not that interested in getting updated stock
> quotes anyway.

The problem is that RPM cannot detect anything that was not installed
using "rpm -i" (or rpm -U).  So, even though you installed it via
CPAN, RPM doesn't know this.  No, you did nothing wrong -- the RPM
packager did ;)

Note that GnuCash DOES run just fine without Finance::Quote.  In fact,
we have a runtime test to check for it's installation, and GnuCash
works just fine without it.  Unfortunately RPM in RH8 notices that
we're using F::Q and adds it to the RPM dependency list.  I don't know
if there is any way to turn that particular check "off" when building
the RPM, but I suspect that building the package _without_ F::Q
installed might help solve the problem.  Unfortunately this isn't
something you can do. :(

Good Luck,