Importing QuickBooks Data

Craig Lanning CraigL at Knology.net
Wed Feb 5 01:08:14 CST 2003

I currently use QuickBooks (v6) for my personal finances, but would like
to switch to something that runs in Linux.  I have just recently
discovered Gnu Cash.  I tried v1.7.8 (Red Hat Rawhide).  (I haven't
gotten my hands on 1.8.0, yet.)  I tried to import some of my QuickBooks
data into Gnu Cash, but found that QuickBooks only exports IIF (Intuit
Interchange Format) files and Gnu Cash only imports QIF files.
Unfortunately, they are not the same.

The QIF importer accepted the IIF file and acted like it was reading it,
but did not create any accounts.  I guess the good news is that the QIF
importer did not choke on the IIF file.  Are there any plans to add
support for IIF files in the near future?

IIF appears to be a simple tab delimited format similar to that used by
spreadsheet software.

Craig

P.S. I looked around the QuickBooks web site, but couldn't find any kind
of formal specification for the IIF.  They did have a selection of
samples available for download as exe files :(