status of accounting periods support

Cory McIlroy cmac4011 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 08:16:51 CST 2003

--- Ian Pilcher <pilchman at attbi.com> wrote:
> Cory McIlroy wrote:
> > I've been trying to determine if functionlity
> related
> > to accounting periods has been added since v1.6.
>
> I'm pretty sure that it hasn't.
>
> > If not, I'm still curious how people deal with
> > "closing the books" without actually creating
> separate
> > files at the beginning of the new year.
>
> The general consensus seems to be that the closest
> you can get is to
> net all of your income and expense account to an
> equity account on the
> last day of the year being closed or the first day
> of the following
> year (12/31 or 1/1).  If you don't have any other
> transactions on the
> selected day, and you adjust the dates of your
> income and expense
> reports accordingly, you can still get valid
> information from them.

Thanks for the replies Ian and Derek.

For the Record, I have chosen to use the method you
just described.  I set aside January 1 to only be used
as a close-out transaction day (nothing important ever
happens on 1/1 anyway).  My year-end P&L is correct as
long as i set the period to be 1/2 - 12/31.

I hate to get on a mailing list and start whining
about missing features of an open source project to
which i don't actively contribute, but...
An automatic year-end close-out feature seems like too
imporant a feature not to have made into 1.8.

-Cory