Deleting accounts

Bill Wohler wohler at newt.com
Wed Feb 5 09:10:55 CST 2003

  While we're on the subject of closing books at year end, I'd also like
  to talk about actually deleting accounts (for bank and mutual fund
  accounts that have been closed and expenses that are no longer
  applicable).

  Related factors include:

  1. After this particular year, I'll be creating a new file in any
  case.

  2. I won't be interested in saving the income and expense data, except
  where impacted by #3.

  3. I will be interested in saving the mutual fund and stock history.

  I once deleted an account and noticed all of the transactions were
  moved to the Equity account. This isn't what I had in mind (although
  it gives me the idea that simply reparenting the account under Equity
  might be a way of "hiding" it).

  What procedures would folks recommend?

--
Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD