gnucash-1.8.0 and Postgres Backend

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Wed Feb 5 21:51:14 CST 2003

On 04 Feb 2003 18:24:49 -0600
Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:51, Klaus Dahlke wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > a few days ago it was mewntioned in one of the communicatios here that the postgres backend for gnucash-1.8.0 is somewhat under construction, e.g. recurring transactions are not supperted yet. I like to continue using the postgres backend. Can someone give anupdate on the status?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Klaus
>
> The Postgres backend *works*.  It does not, however, support any of the
> new functionality (e.g., Scheduled Transactions, business functions, et
> al).  Stuff that existed in 1.6.x should still work normally (e.g.,
> stocks, price quotes, ledger entry).  Note that working from a remote
> Postgresql server over TCP/IP may be a bit slower than working with a
> local database.

Matthew,

thanks for the answer and the great work you and the rest of the guys put into gnucash (even I use it for home purposes only), it is terrrific program. Despite some compile problems (gnucash works now) I experienced a few obstacles when using postgres: when gnucash loads data from the database it recognizes that the entries were made with gnucash-1.6.8 and tries to convert the database, but fails with:
'server experienced an error or encounter bad or corrupt data.

I have saved my gnucash-1.6.8 data as xml-file. When I saved the file as postgres://localhost/konten?mode=single-update I got a segfault with:

[New Thread 1024 (LWP 7559)]
0x401c78c9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#0  0x401c78c9 in wait4 () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x40242c90 in __DTOR_END__ () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x4044fb86 in gnome_segv_handle (signum=11) at gnome-init.c:664
#3  0x411bb12b in pthread_sighandler () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#4  <signal handler called>
#5  0x4035f60a in gnc_commodity_table_lookup (table=0x0,
    namespace=0xfffffe00 <Address DEFANGED_0xfffffe00 DEFANGED_out DEFANGED_of DEFANGED_bounds>,
    mnemonic=0xbfffdc58 "\177\003

But the new database is there, I can work with it and atleast.the total values of the individual accounts are correct.

Cheers,
Klaus

--
This message has been 'sanitized'.  This means that potentially
dangerous content has been rewritten or removed.  The following

Sanitizer (start="1044478238"):
  SanitizeFile (filename="unnamed.txt", mimetype="text/plain"):
    Match (rule="2"):
      Enforced policy: accept

  Rewrote HTML tag: >>_Address 0xfffffe00 out of bounds_<<
                as: >>_Address DEFANGED_0xfffffe00 DEFANGED_out DEFANGED_of DEFANGED_bounds_<<
  Total modifications so far: 4

Anomy 0.0.0 : Sanitizer.pm
$Id: Sanitizer.pm,v 1.64 2002/10/22 16:37:04 bre Exp $