Budgeting?

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Sun Feb 9 10:58:01 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 08:28, The Doctor What wrote:
> Okay, then perhaps the comment I should have made was: The search
> engine doesn't do a good job searching the pipermail archives.  I
> spent a little time with it, and it tries showing what it thinks is
> the newest and most important, but it's reading the timestamp from
> the pipermail archive, which are all 'today'.  So it keeps showing
> stuff from March 2000 as if it is current and new.

It has been my experience with mailing list archives that the searches
are almost always woeful. Try using google as an alternative - I didn't
look too closely, but there seems to be a goodly number if extremely
relevant hits. Remember to use the links to get to more pages from the
same sites.

> Is there someplace I can offer my experience in designing
> applications (but not financial ones, just business)?

You are welcome to comment on the past discussions, though I would ask
that you include a URL for the posts you're referring to to refresh our
memory. I'd suggest that this discussion would be best conducted on the
gnucash-devel list instead of this list, however.
Nothing is set in concrete, but do be aware that ultimately the path
followed will depend on the individual preferences of whoever leads the
coding charge.

> I have Debian Woody, with 1.6.6.  I'll see if I can upgrade.  If I
> do upgrade, can I downgrade later?  Will the data files still work?
> Anyone know of a handy Gnucash apt source for woody?

Umm... I believe that 1.8 is available for unstable. That's the limit of
my knowledge for debian at this stage.

> > > BTW: I really think that on the reports, that you should be have two
> > > nodes for each account that has a sub-account.  One for the account
> > > and another for all the sub-accounts.  Because it's a pain
> > > otherwise.

<helpful explanation snipped>

I've been irritated by this too. There IS a checkbox that says "Include
all sub-accounts" (Or words to that effect) and/or a dropdown box that
says "Include sub-accounts to level ..." in the options which will do
what you want, but I agree its very unintuitive.
However, I think the dual-node thing is not the right solution. We need
some way of expressing this in the gui without making it confusing. My
thought would be to highlight the account on a single click, and flag it
with something else on a double click (the double click of course
meaning "this account and all sub-accounts").

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/