Compile 1.8.x: a few problems (but at the end a working Gnucash)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 11 10:19:28 CST 2003

Morten Sickel <Morten.Sickel at newmedia.no> writes:

> libtool 1.3.4

First, you probably want to upgrade this to 1.4.2 (which is what you
get in RH7.3, our base target system).

> (It was installed as redhat 7.2 some years ago, but now I have upgraded a lot
> of things from source, so the rpm database is completely broken)
> Most other modules and tools upgraded to most recent versions, It could of
> cource be that I have an old version of some crucial tool or library lurking
> around, but it is not clear for me from these problems what that might be.

Anything you have that is older than RH7.3's version should be upgraded.
(or should have been upgraded prior to to

> I do not get any complaints during ./configure --enable-sql --enable-gui, but
> during the compile phase, I get:
>
> make[5]: Entering directory
> `/home/morten/temp1/gnucash-1.8.1/src/gnc-module/test/mod-foo'
> /bin/sh ../../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -I../../../../src/gnc-module  -I
> /usr/local/include/g-wrap -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2
> -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/pgsql -Wall
> -Wunused   -Werror  -o libfoo.la -rpath  -module foo.lo  -lpopt -lm  -lm
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
> make[5]: *** [libfoo.la] Error 1
>
> and similiar errors in mod-bar,  mod-baz and mod-misc subdirs.

HMM.. I don't know what to say about this.  You could try upgrading
libtool (as this is a libtool warning), but I'm not sure what this
error actually means.

> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> dialog-sxsincelast.c: In function `gnc_ui_sxsincelast_guile_wrapper':
> dialog-sxsincelast.c:385: warning: implicit declaration of function `ngettext'
> dialog-sxsincelast.c:390: warning: passing arg 1 of `gnc_info_dialog' makes
> pointer from integer without a cast
> make[4]: *** [dialog-sxsincelast.lo] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/morten/temp1/gnucash-1.8.1/src/gnome'
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Hmm, this is weird.  I think it means you have a problem with libintl.
Most likely your libc is "old enough" that it does not include the
gettext code, but configure still thinks it should be using Gnu
Gettext.  You could verify this via the config.log and see if it was
actually able to find the gettext code.

I had a problem with this on Solaris -- it had libintl installed but
couldn't find it due to symbol issues.  This may or may not be your
problem; you didn't say what version of libc you have installed.

> Again, I removed the -Werror from the makefile in src/gnome and went bravely
> on until:
>
> ../../../../src/gnome/.libs/libgncgnome.so: undefined reference to `ngettext'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[5]: *** [test-link] Error 1
> make[5]: Leaving directory
> `/home/morten/temp1/gnucash-1.8.1/src/import-export/qif-import/test'

This is the same problem as above..

> Again, thanks a lot to the developers!
>
> Morten Sickel

You're welcome.  However, if you ever do run the Scheduled
Transactions dialog, your compile of gnucash _WILL_ crash (because it
probably wont find the ngettext() symbol).  So, just a warning.