Budgeting

McComas, Stacey SMcComas at lexgen.com
Tue Feb 11 12:35:20 CST 2003

>In general, that's true for me for Expenses, but not for Assets.  For my
>current form of envelope budgeting, I have a general "oh crap" reserve
>fund in Savings, and then sub-accounts for things like Transportation,
>Vacation, Home Repair, and the like.  It seems most obvious to me that
>any money specifically targeted goes into the subaccounts, and the
>parent holds everything else.
>
>For my 401(k), I transfer the money from my paycheque into the parent
>account, and then transfer it out again as purchases are made.

[..............SNIP..............]

I've been considering doing the savings sub-account thing for some time, but
haven't gotten around to testing it.  I'd like to ask you a couple of
questions on how you do it

1) How do you transfer your money into savings?  Into the main account, then
into sub-accounts; or directly into the sub-accounts?

2) How does end-of-month reconciling work?  Can you just reconcile the total
in's and out's from the main account, or do you have to modify the process
to take into account the transfers into the sub-accounts?

Thanks!

Stacey

 The contents of this communication are intended only for the addressee and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this communication that do not relate to the official
business of my company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
it.