how to stop windows from popping up

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Mon Feb 17 20:32:28 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 19:26, Derek Atkins wrote:
> jeff covey <jeff.covey at pobox.com> writes:
>
> > please do add this to the wish list.  i can't imagine wanting to open
> > a new window for each register.  the gnucash interface would be much
> > less cumbersome for me if it kept to one window with tabs and i could
> > move from tab to tab with a keyboard shortcut, just as mozilla + tabs
> > is a *huge* improvement over netscape + 10,000 windows.
>
> See, I like it this way, because I like being able to compare different
> accounts side-by-side.  This is why we need an option. ;)

I think Mozilla/Galeon/etc is the perfect example to emulate.  You can
have new items (registers and reports in our case) open in either as a
new window or as a new tab in the current window, you can move tabs from
one window to another, tabs in a window can be reordered, the
application remembers the stacking order of the tabs, etc.

I also think this is something that should be left until after the
gnome2 port (no sense in doing it now then having to redo it for
gnome2), and we should seriously consider porting the code from a
project like galeon.  No sense re-inventing the wheel.

David