a Quicken user tests out GnuCash...

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Fri Feb 21 23:54:39 CST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 22:26, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> I am in your same boat. I'm switching from Quicken 2000 to GnuCash and
> it takes some getting used to. What I've found is that if the split is
> new (not filled in from a previous transaction), the amount you enter
> for withdrawal from the current account (say checking) is like the total
> split amount. Then you add the various split parts which are deposits to
> other accounts that have to add up to that first withdrawal total.

Note, however, that if you were taking money from two accounts and
paying it out to several (for example), you can do this and gnucash will
just deal automatically. Its just that what you see on the screen isn't
the "transactional perspective" view that quicken and like present to
you, its an "account perspective" view. Thus the "total" is the total
*for this account*.
Does that make sense?

>  Also,
> gnucash likes to put all withdrawals last so if you're writing a check,
> doing a debit, etc., the withdrawal from the current account will be
> last. If it's a deposit to the current account, like a paycheck, it puts
> the deposit to the current account first followed by other deposits to
> other accounts (like taxes), and the withdrawal from the Income account
> last.

In this respect, it follows the traditions of old fashioned paper
accounting.
About the only interesting thing I've learnt from this stupid trust
accounting unit I'm currently studying.....

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/