a Quicken user tests out GnuCash...

plussier at mindspring.com plussier at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 21 10:03:31 CST 2003

In a message dated: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:37:32 EST
James Ralston said:

>The biggest problem so far is that GnuCash can't seem to cope with
>importing QIF split transactions.  All QIF transactions which
>contained splits are counted as the exact opposite of what they should
>be (i.e., receive instead of spend; spend instead of receive).  This
>is a showstopper for me, as the vast majority of my transactions are
>splits.

Then there's something majorly wrong with your QIF file.  I've been
using GnuCash exclusively for over 4 years now, and never had a
problem with importing QIF files containing splits.  I do this all
the time.

>Is this a known bug?  (I'm using Quicken 2000 on Windows 98 SE.)

OR, something has changed in the GnuCash import engine with 1.8.x
(I'm still on 1.6.6).

>I've also been having difficulty dealing with split transactions in
>general under GnuCash.
>
>GnuCash seems to want to reorder the split transactions.  How can I
>configure GnuCash to use the exact order I give it?

I've never had this problem myself, but why does the order matter?
As long as the transaction contains all the appropriate splits with
the money going to/coming from the proper accounts, and everything is
properly balanced, then you should be all set, shouldn't you?

>What is GnuCash's equivalent of Quicken's "adjust split total" button?

AFAIK, you just hit Enter, and if it's unbalanced, GnuCash will pop
up  a window asking what you want to do.  One of the choices is to
allow GnuCash to balance the transaction.

>In Quicken, when entering a transaction with splits, I find it very
>handy to enter the total transaction amount first, before I start
>entering splits; that way, if all of the splits total to the amount I
>entered, I know I've gotten the splits correct.  In GnuCash, however,
>I haven't found a way to edit the transaction total directly; I can
>only change it via entering splits.  How do I change it directly?

Ahm, has something drastic changed between 1.6.6 and 1.8.x?  I always
enter the transaction total first, then add splits in in exactly the
way you describe.
--

Seeya,
Paul