Closing the books

Charles Gagnon charlesg@unixrealm.com
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:09:19 -0500

I know this has been discussed over and over again but I couldn't
find the old messages.

For the last couple of years, I've been closing the books by adding
transactions in an Equity account to zero out Income/Expenses
accounts. I enjoy having all my data in one file but the problem is
my book is getting bigger and bigger and is taking an awfully long
time to load.

So I was considering starting a new book for 2003. Some questions I
have:

 - How can I quickly transfer the account tree and the content of
   the cash and bank accounts?

 - What happens with stocks or other assets bought in prior years?
   How can I track the Gain/Losses for those?

 - Did someone ever write something on the various manual procedures
   to close the books?

Thanks.

--
Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody

   Where do forest rangers go to get away from it all?
        -- Dennis Miller