Automatic Saving

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:17:30 -0600

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 04:53:26PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > In gnotime, auto-save is combined with 'auto-backup' and 'auto-archive',
> > as it were.  The file is saved, but so are copies that are a week,
> > month, year old.
>
> Actually, what I'd like to see in gnotime is the ability to specify
> filenames.  I want to tell the app where the data file should live.
> I don't like the fact that it assumes it lives in ~/.gnome/gtt-xml.gttml!
> ~/.gnome is for configuration, not data files (IMHO).

OK, This is now on my todo list.

> > (This needed in part because theere is no 'save' or 'open' menu item
> > in gnotime, the idea there being that 'it just works', and to minimize
> > the GUI complexity.)
>
> EH?  You removed that functionality?

yes.  I'm trying to minimize the amount of crap in pull-down menus,
minimize the number of buttons.   The idea is that by removing rote
chores, the user is freed to concentrate on the important stuff
(instead of thinking, 'gee I have to hit save now').   Its a design
philosphy, its hard to put into practice.

> Well, as a power user I prefer to archive my data when I want to

You can still do this by using command line 'cp' or your favorite
graphical file browser...  is that OK?

> archive it.  But for that to work I need to be able to tell the
> program what data file to open.

I'm thinking that the way I want to do this is to put the name of the
data file in the preferences dialog.   That way, you can still
set it, but its not as easy as 'save/restore'.  The goal is to
avoid cluttering the top-level GUI interface ...

> What I'd like is some way to archive the data but then reset it...
> For example, I've already billed for everying in 2002, so I want to
> get my numbers to restart.  OTOH I want to keep those old numbers
> around so I can see them.  I suppose what I really want is some way to
> mark the entries as "billed" (invoiced?) and then choose between only
> showing me non-invoiced time, invoiced time, or all time.

Ahh, yes.   FWIW, the newest version 2.1.4 does a major cleanup
of the scheme interfaces.  This means the html can be made a
*lot* prettier.  The old crappy table-layout thing is history.

It also means things like tab-delimited export are 'trivial', and
other export formats are easily supported.

It also means that adding the above feature request is a lot easier.
I've already written some very simple scheme filters to filter based
on the entry status.  I think if you look at gtt.scm, and the example
filters at the bottom, you'll be able to write generic filters to do
all sorts of reports.

(I'm vaguely thinking about adding generic, user-configurable key-value
thingies, but thats another matter.)

> I'd also like to see gnotime interface into gnucash's invoicing system
> and customer management system.

How?

I think I've made gtt export real easy: give me an example of the
export format, and I'll write the thing in half an hour (see the
tab-delim.ghtml example file).  But I don't know how to get gnucash
to import.  Should gnotime export OFX?  Care to provide an example?

I do not yet know how to do import into gnotime.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>